Charges: Midvale woman used screenshots to get $175K from employer
SALT LAKE CITY — A Midvale woman was charged Monday with using screenshots of online purchases to dupe her Sugar House employer out of $175,000.
Sara Marie Fabbro, 28, was charged in 3rd District Court with 10 counts of communications fraud, a second-degree felony. She was also charged with engaging in a pattern of unlawful activity, a second-degree felony; and forgery, a third-degree felony.
Police said Fabbro used screenshots of online purchases that she never completed to request reimbursements from her employer, Castle and Cooke Mortgage Company, 2375 E. Parleys Way, charging documents state.
Fabbro worked for the mortgage company between July 2012 and June 2013 as a marketing director and was responsible for purchasing promotional items and paying for events. During her employment, prosecutors say Fabbro submitted requests for 10 reimbursements totalling $175,474.
Fabbro's employers clued in when they were contacted by a banquet company in June about an outstanding bill for $44,565, according to the charges. When asked about the balance, Fabbro said she had paid with a personal credit card and presented a forged receipt, the charges state.
A warrant was issued for Fabbro's arrest after she failed to appear in court Monday in an unrelated case, court records show. Bail is set at $50,000.
— McKenzie Romero
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Family frustrated with lack of charges in...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint claims...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from...
- Charges: Man responsible for death of toddler...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 49
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16