Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
WEST JORDAN — Criminal charges have been filed in 3rd District Juvenile Court related to a hazing investigation involving members of the Jordan High School wrestling team.
But Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill on Monday would not say how many students were charged, or describe the nature of the charges nor even if the charges are felonies or misdemeanors. He said his office considers such information as protected.
Sandy police also refused to discuss details of the case.
But a source with knowledge of the allegations told the Deseret News that the wrestlers were accused of digitally penetrating younger teammates during a bus ride. The allegations came to light when a parent saw a reference to the incident on a social media site. She contacted Jordan High officials who immediately contacted the Canyons School District. The district confirmed an investigation in February.
"The boys didn't think it was a big deal," said the source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "Some of them said it had happened to them, so it may have been going on for a few years."
The allegations came to light just before the regional wrestling meet in February. Even before Sandy police began an investigation, 11 wrestlers were kicked off the team.
An attorney familiar with the case said many students were kicked off the wrestling team before they had an opportunity to respond to the allegations. Such actions could damage scholarship opportunities and their "academic lives," he said.
The investigation by both police and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office went on for several months. The investigation began before the 2012-13 school year finished in June.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 62
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20