Rational or Irrational: DN Comment boards explode as college football season approaches
Tom Smart, Deseret News
And the banter begins.
College football season is less than a month and a half away, and instate rivalries are creating the usual havoc on comment boards.
Last Friday the Deseret News came out with an admittedly idealistic list describing BYU, Utah and USU's path to 10+ wins in 2013. This was written with the assumed fine print that we were in no way predicting season outcomes for any of the three teams highlighted.
Although the writers of the list didn't make any clear predictions, 112 readers were not shy to post their own opinions on the comment board.
Here's 10 of both rational points and completely unreasonable predictions stemming from the list. You decide, which are rational or irrational?
1. Big D is key for Utes
East Salt Lake City, Utah
"I was really disappointed with the Utah defense last year. It was one of the worst defenses in recent times. The offense had an excuse with a new OC and QB, but the defense had no excuse with two NFL players on the line. Sitake's defense was brilliant in Season 1 and horrible in Season 2. If we expect to win 8-10 games this year then we'll need the defense to play like Season 1."
2. The classic 'right thing on and off the field' expression
Eagle Mountain, UT
"As long as any team is doing the right thing on and off the field they can all reach 10 wins. For those of you who obviously don't know, Ernest T. Bass is a Ute fan, but as a Cougar fan I quite enjoy his one-liners and innuendos and wish I were half as creative and witty. I think 9 wins for BYU is possible only if they beat Utah, which hasn't been promising in the past few years. I think Mendenhall will get out coached by Mack Brown and Brian Kelly. The Wisconsin game could actually be interesting because Mendenhall always has a top 10 run defense, but seems to get burned one game per year, which I think will be the Texas game. Coming off a bye week before playing Utah and Wisconsin is looking good for BYU."
3. Coach's QB allegiance poisonous
West Jordan, UT
"BYU- I think BYU has the best shot at a 10-win season. They have the right number of remaining starters, and renewed energy with coaching changes and the challenge of a tough schedule. Bronco's allegiance to Nelson was poisonous to the offense.
"USU- Will have an 8-9 Win Season. They will not fall as far as most think with the loss of Coach Andersen. They have something to prove, and though the MWC will be challenging, USU is up for it. Chuckie is a great QB(I think a little overrated here in the state of Utah, but definitely a great QB)
"Utah-I think Utah will go bowling this year. Not saying they are going to get to 10 wins, because they won't. I see a 6 and a VERY slight chance of 7 win season for Utah. One of Utah's biggest woes as of late was Wynn- and I blame Coach Whit for it. He is a great coach, but his allegiance to the Injury Prone(putting it lightly, if the man blinked to much he would be injured) Wynn was as bad as Bronco's allegiance to Nelson."
4. 3 wins for Utah, even Weber State isn't guaranteed
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 110
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 37
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 35
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 21
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 14