SALT LAKE CITY — The Downtown Alliance has announced the recipients of its 2013 Achievement Awards.
The honorees are The Depot, Salt Lake County Mayor Ben McAdams, Valter Nassi, Salt Lake City Greek Festival and Neumont University.
The individuals and organizations were honored for their key roles in continuing to create a more dynamic and diverse community that is the regional center for culture, commerce and entertainment, according to the Downtown Alliance.
“The Depot is truly honored to receive this award. Over the past seven years we have played host to countless concerts and private events,” said general manager Tad Duga. “We believe that we have filled a void in the market by creating The Depot and our goal has always been to provide the downtown area with the best entertainment money can buy. The quality of entertainment that we bring to the downtown area is second to none. Salt Lake City has supported us through the difficult economic times and for that we would like to say, thank you.”
McAdams, who took office in January, said: “I appreciate this award. Our region's future is bright if we continue our focus on privately led economic development in collaboration with county and city government. ... I look forward to continuing my partnership effort with business and community leaders as we move Utah forward."
Nassi, a restaurateur, was at Cucina Toscana in Salt Lake City since its inception, prior to opening Valter’s.
The Salt Lake City Greek Festival was noted for having a great value, at $3 per person, for cultural offerings including food, dancing and traditional music, according to the Downtown Alliance.
Neumont will relocate its technology driven campus to Main Street this summer. The school also will offer on-site housing for 80 students.
The awards will be presented Tuesday at the Inaugural Downtown Symposium at the Marriott City Center Hotel, 222 S. State.
The symposium will feature keynote speaker Peter Kageyama, an expert on community development and author of "For the Love of Cities."
For more information, visit www.downtownslc.org/achievement.
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 19
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13