Sometimes employees need some extra help from their employers.
According to a story by Marianne McCune at NPR, one employer, Andrew Rosenkranz who has a market research firm near Seattle, sees employees in financial trouble.
Sometimes they need money to help out a family member. Other times, Rosenkranz notices they are not taking advantage of the firm's 401(k) and matching contributions.
So Rosenkranz started bringing in financial advisers to help his employees get their financial houses fixed up.
According to a look at employee benefit offerings in the U.S. by the Society for Human Resource Management, many organizations are offering investment advise to their employees: "Organizations also offered financial planning benefits such as investment and retirement preparation advice. Overall, 74 percent of organizations offered some form of investment advice."
But fewer offer basic personal finance advice. "This training could include helping employees manage their assets, understanding basic financial concepts, and income planning for college savings and debt management," the SHRM report says. "Twenty-five percent of organizations offered one-on-one financial advice, 24 percent offered online advice and 20 percent offered in-group or classroom financial advice."
A review of the issue in Research Works looked at how many employees have problems with finances from paying for gas to paying rent or other expenses.
"Financial problems have clear negative consequences on worker health and job performance," the Research Works article says.
Workers with financial distress, for example, typically report poorer overall health.
Unfortunately, the article says "the number of employees who have difficulties with financial management far exceeds the resources offered by companies and communities to help them."
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Does it really matter if you grew up rich and...
- Win or lose, discrimination suit is having an...
- Looking for a job near home? Good luck, it's...
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for handling a child's...
- Balancing act: 'Soft skills' are important at...
- Obama calls for payday loan regulations in...
- Michelle Singletary: A way out of the maze of...
- Economy is recovering despite wage... 6
- In rare deal, Boehner, Pelosi tout wins... 5
- Does it really matter if you grew up... 4
- Win or lose, discrimination suit is... 2
- The middle class has had a rough couple... 2
- For business, more women in charge... 1
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job... 1
- Randy Shumway: How the Federal Reserve... 1