Spanish Fork teen found dead in road was hit by car, medical examiner says
SALEM — An autopsy has concluded that a Spanish Fork teenager found dead in the middle of the road was hit by a car.
Police received a call Saturday from a woman who reported finding the body on her way home from work about 5:30 a.m. at 2000 W. Arrowhead Trail, an area east of I-15 between Salem and Payson.
Nathan Tyler Haun, 17, suffered "very extensive trauma," according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.
Sunday, the sheriff's office said the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office concluded that Haun "died when he was struck by a vehicle."
Detectives were still searching Sunday for that vehicle and the driver. Those who were believed to have interaction with Haun before his death were being contacted by investigators who were trying to retrace his steps.
On Saturday, the sheriff's office said his death might have been more than an auto-pedestrian accident.
"At this time the sheriff's office is not prepared to state what that evidence is or what other considerations are being investigated," investigators said in a prepared statement.
Police said they believe that the death occurred sometime between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. and that Haun and other teens were at a party drinking Friday night.
Haun's father, Preston Haun, said he has heard rumors on social media about what happened to his son, including discussions that his death was not an accident. "I've heard everything from an argument with a girl to alcohol being involved and people being stupid," he said. "I don't know."
Anyone with information on a possible vehicle or driver can call the sheriff's office at 801-794-3970.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 46
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 10
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9