Spanish Fork teen found dead in road was hit by car, medical examiner says
SALEM — An autopsy has concluded that a Spanish Fork teenager found dead in the middle of the road was hit by a car.
Police received a call Saturday from a woman who reported finding the body on her way home from work about 5:30 a.m. at 2000 W. Arrowhead Trail, an area east of I-15 between Salem and Payson.
Nathan Tyler Haun, 17, suffered "very extensive trauma," according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.
Sunday, the sheriff's office said the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office concluded that Haun "died when he was struck by a vehicle."
Detectives were still searching Sunday for that vehicle and the driver. Those who were believed to have interaction with Haun before his death were being contacted by investigators who were trying to retrace his steps.
On Saturday, the sheriff's office said his death might have been more than an auto-pedestrian accident.
"At this time the sheriff's office is not prepared to state what that evidence is or what other considerations are being investigated," investigators said in a prepared statement.
Police said they believe that the death occurred sometime between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. and that Haun and other teens were at a party drinking Friday night.
Haun's father, Preston Haun, said he has heard rumors on social media about what happened to his son, including discussions that his death was not an accident. "I've heard everything from an argument with a girl to alcohol being involved and people being stupid," he said. "I don't know."
Anyone with information on a possible vehicle or driver can call the sheriff's office at 801-794-3970.
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17