Spanish Fork teen found dead in road was hit by car, medical examiner says
SALEM — An autopsy has concluded that a Spanish Fork teenager found dead in the middle of the road was hit by a car.
Police received a call Saturday from a woman who reported finding the body on her way home from work about 5:30 a.m. at 2000 W. Arrowhead Trail, an area east of I-15 between Salem and Payson.
Nathan Tyler Haun, 17, suffered "very extensive trauma," according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.
Sunday, the sheriff's office said the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office concluded that Haun "died when he was struck by a vehicle."
Detectives were still searching Sunday for that vehicle and the driver. Those who were believed to have interaction with Haun before his death were being contacted by investigators who were trying to retrace his steps.
On Saturday, the sheriff's office said his death might have been more than an auto-pedestrian accident.
"At this time the sheriff's office is not prepared to state what that evidence is or what other considerations are being investigated," investigators said in a prepared statement.
Police said they believe that the death occurred sometime between 2 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. and that Haun and other teens were at a party drinking Friday night.
Haun's father, Preston Haun, said he has heard rumors on social media about what happened to his son, including discussions that his death was not an accident. "I've heard everything from an argument with a girl to alcohol being involved and people being stupid," he said. "I don't know."
Anyone with information on a possible vehicle or driver can call the sheriff's office at 801-794-3970.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 22
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14