Utah Jazz: Why the Jazz traded for Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush
As was reported last week, the general manager isn't about to admit the team is going into tank mode for next season. He did admit that Utah will focus on "building a defensive foundation" instead of focusing on numbers of wins and losses.
"The Utah Jazz, as you know the history, we're never going to cede anything," Lindsey said. "We're going to compete to the best of our ability."
And, perhaps more importantly, protect future interests and allow the youthful core to flourish. Or flounder. No time like the present to discover that.
"We needed to find out what this young group could do," Lindsey said, "and then we can make decisions from there, and we'll live with the results."
For the Jazz, though, the risk is worth the reward.
This trade helped them fill the aforementioned boxes with checks and could pay off in the short term if the veterans somehow muster career resurgences.
Even if this group fails, the vets might actually help the Jazz win by losing. NBA teams are drooling about the 2014 draft class and — as strange as this sounds about a franchise with a rich playoff history like Utah's — this could be a great year to have a lot of ping-pong balls come lottery time next spring.
It will be a big bonus if the Jazz shock the basketball world and make the playoffs next season with their new Warriors while Golden State accidentally relapses into tank mode and gives Utah a lottery pick that way.
Whatever happens this season, Jazz fans might want to keep this phrase in mind: "Short-term pain for long-term gain."
- Free agent roundup: 15 locals from BYU, Utah,...
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal for...
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- High school track: Orem boys, Millard girls...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September schedule:...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Brad Rock: Utah-BYU rivalry will... 165
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 79
- Yeomans: What does Jimmer Fredette need... 54
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 43
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 38
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 32
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 31