Utah Jazz: Why the Jazz traded for Andris Biedrins, Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush
As was reported last week, the general manager isn't about to admit the team is going into tank mode for next season. He did admit that Utah will focus on "building a defensive foundation" instead of focusing on numbers of wins and losses.
"The Utah Jazz, as you know the history, we're never going to cede anything," Lindsey said. "We're going to compete to the best of our ability."
And, perhaps more importantly, protect future interests and allow the youthful core to flourish. Or flounder. No time like the present to discover that.
"We needed to find out what this young group could do," Lindsey said, "and then we can make decisions from there, and we'll live with the results."
For the Jazz, though, the risk is worth the reward.
This trade helped them fill the aforementioned boxes with checks and could pay off in the short term if the veterans somehow muster career resurgences.
Even if this group fails, the vets might actually help the Jazz win by losing. NBA teams are drooling about the 2014 draft class and — as strange as this sounds about a franchise with a rich playoff history like Utah's — this could be a great year to have a lot of ping-pong balls come lottery time next spring.
It will be a big bonus if the Jazz shock the basketball world and make the playoffs next season with their new Warriors while Golden State accidentally relapses into tank mode and gives Utah a lottery pick that way.
Whatever happens this season, Jazz fans might want to keep this phrase in mind: "Short-term pain for long-term gain."
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 76
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 28
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 27