Former BYU star Bryan Kehl enjoying his NFL ride with the Redskins
Of course, Kehl, who helped BYU claim back-to-back Mountain West Conference championships in 2006 and 2007, likes keeping tabs on his alma mater. Last March, he returned to Provo to spend some time watching spring ball and hanging out with Cougar outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy.
BYU boasted one of the top defenses in the nation last season. Kehl noted that the defensive approach employed by coach Bronco Mendenhall has evolved since ’06 and ’07.
“The biggest thing, which is a credit to these coaches, is that they've learned. They've learned from mistakes; they've learned from successes. They've adapted,” Kehl said. “This defense they put out here last year is very different, as far as scheme, from the one I played in in 2007. It's better now, because they've learned. I'm a little jealous of Kyle, because some of the stuff he does, I wish I could have done that. They utilize him in different packages and move him around. It's smart and it works. It's a credit to the coaches, because they've watched and they've learned and they're willing to adapt. They're not just stuck in something they've done. Credit to Bronco. The coaches are smarter. They've utilized players' strengths rather than sticking to the textbook. They're thinking outside the box, and fixing some of the coverages we used to run. It's not monumental changes; it's some little tweaks. It really helps. We see how it's evolved. I'm jealous. I wish I was playing right now in this defense. I'd be killing it in this defense."
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 28
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21