PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s soccer match resulted in a 1–1 tie in its last home game of the regular season against the Ventura County Fusion.
“We played some of our best soccer this season,” head coach Chris Watkins said. “Ventura County players have shining resumes, but we could’ve been better in transition tonight.”
BYU began the game strong. Pedro Vasconcelos lined up to take his fourth corner kick of the night, kicking the ball from the left corner. The ball met its target, with a header from Alex Neff, scoring the first goal of the night. BYU led 1–0 in the 38th minute and throughout the first half. BYU almost lost its lead in the 43th minute, but BYU goalie Brian Hale saved three shots in a row to maintain BYU’s lead.
The VC Fusion closed the gap in the second half, creating a 1-1 tie. Although a crowd of over 1,700 cheered BYU until the end, the Cougars' offense did not score the remainder of the game.
The Cougars maintain a record of 5–6–2 (10–6–2 overall). The Cougars will compete in their final regular season game on Saturday, July 20, against FC Tuscon in Arizona. Follow the Cougars on Twitter at @byusoccer for live updates during the game.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the Public Relations Coordinator for the BYU mens' soccer team.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- BYU defense working hard to catch up to the...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 41
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 17
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 15
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13