"The course is in phenomenal shape. The views are spectacular. The course back home that I play on is a lot easier than this course, so to do it on a lot tougher golf course is special for me. I'll probably never shoot a score like that ever again on nine holes, so it's pretty nice."
His previous best nine-hole score of 29 came on his home course, Clover Meadows, an 18-hole public course in Cloverdale, Ind.
And although the 5-foot-9, 165-pound pro said he "just ran outa birdies" on his final nine holes, when he came back down to earth and managed two birdies after his unbelievable start, he's eager to see what the next two days may bring.
"I'm excited," he said of holding the 36-hole lead. " ... It's where you want to be; it's what you dream about doing — having an opportunity to win. Obviously there's a lot of golf to be played, but I just hope I've got an opportunity come Sunday with a few holes left.
"I'm just gonna try to give myself as many opportunities as I can, try to hit as many fairways and as many greens as a can, try to free up the putter and try to continue making putts. I'm sure it's gonna be difficult mentally to try to do that, but I've been there before. I've won before out here. But there's a lot of golf to be played and I just want to continue doing what I'm doing."
After all, what he was doing Friday was something special indeed.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43