Oprah's Lifeclass Facebook page
In a three-week series that began on July 7, TV show host and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey began a Lifeclass special that addressed an issue nearly 21 million children in the U.S. face: growing up without a father.
Fatherless Sons, the first part of the Lifeclass special, aired on July 7 and specifically discussed the negative effects of sons not having a father at home.
“What so many of us see, who work with children, are a bunch of angry little boys,” Dr. Steve Perry, founder and principal of Capital Preparatory Magnet School, said on the show. “As soon as they can stand up and establish a sense of self, they are mad — really mad. And the problem is, they don’t know what to do with that.”
The show featured Iyanla Vanzant, inspirational speaker, author and TV personality; Geoffrey Canada, CEO of Harlem Children’s Zone; and Perry. They talked about how boys can learn to fill the void left by absent fathers, as well as different ways fathers can reconnect with their sons.
“Take a day off just for your son. Say, ‘Son, I can’t afford to do it, but I love you so much that I’m going to take the day off.’ These things will stay with a boy forever because [of] that connection that [says], ‘My dad loves me,’” Canada said on the show. “[It] doesn’t mean that they’re going to listen to you, doesn’t mean they’re going to do everything; they’re going to just believe that you love them.”
Other suggestions for fathers to reconnect with sons include picking up your son from school, cooking a meal together, showing up at graduation and teaching your child something you love.
This Oprah Lifeclass services will continue July 14 and 21 with a focus on "Daddyless Daughters."
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Face time vs. screen time: The technological...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- No, you shouldn't feel bad about taking a nap
- Road Home to use Midvale shelter one more...
- BYU announces Mitt Romney, Disney...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- It's about time the government... 12
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Social problems... 7
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing... 6
- In the Whirled: World peace and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: CBS News features boy... 5
- Parenting advice that changed my life 4