Bacon restaurant can reopen after neighbors complained over smell
A restaurant in San Francisco that was shut down after neighbors complained about the smell emitting from it can reopen after a City Hall meeting ruled in favor of the restaurant Thursday night.
ABC News reports that the eatery, called Bacon Bacon, which offers bacon strips doused in maple syrup among other items, had been closed by the health department since May because neighbors' complaints about the smell caused a delay in obtaining a permit from the city's department of building inspection.
The Wall Street Journal reported that more than 3,000 people had signed a petition in support of Bacon Bacon after it had been closed two months ago. The WSJ said that Phyllis Johnson-Silk, who lives around the corner from Bacon Bacon, made signs that said "Bacon Rules!" and "Really? You complained to the cops that you smelled bacon?"
But not everyone in the Haight-Ashbury district was begging for bacon. The strong smell from the building was drawing the ire of many residents who live nearby.
But after all the ongoing battles over the summer, a decision was reached Thursday to reopen the restaurant. As part of the agreement, Angelus agreed to update his ventilation system.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on July 12, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013, to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
Michael Smith is a writer in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Digital Savant: How to be a ghost (online)
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 59
- Religious, political leaders in... 35
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 19
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 18
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Churches proceed carefully when... 14
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say Islamic... 10