Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — Unified police detectives were combing through an area along the Jordan River on Friday morning where a badly decomposed body was found.
The body is of an adult, but was in such an advanced stage of decomposition that officers could not initially tell if it was a male or female. A medical examiner determined Friday evening it was a man, but had no further information.
The body was discovered about 1:15 a.m. near 9000 South and 700 West, not far from the Jordan River.
A man was driving on dirt roads next to the river when he became stuck in the mud, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. While attempting to get his car out of the mud, the man discovered the body in a wooded area.
The death was being treated as suspicious until proven otherwise Friday morning and was being investigated by homicide detectives.
Hoyal said an autopsy would give investigators an idea of how long the body had been there.
There are several homeless camps along the Jordan, police said.
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Kearns home a total loss after accidental fire
- Man with gunshot wound collapses in West...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Biskupski's pick to lead public... 13