Getting to 10: What BYU, Utah and Utah State must do to win 10 games this fall
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
From coaching changes to player adjustments to psychological moves, the collection of thousands of small decisions — both on and off the playing field — can mean the difference between victory and defeat.
Between 2004 to 2012, the state of Utah has enjoyed some of the best football decision-making in America. Among all three of Utah's FBS programs, football fans in the Beehive State have been treated to more than 10 10-win seasons since 2004 — a remarkable feat by any measure.
However, with Utah's ascension to the Pac-12, BYU's venture to independence, and USU's entrance into the Mountain West, getting to that 10-win mark has become considerably tougher.
This fall, BYU, Utah and Utah State fans hope their respective teams can return to the 10-win club, but it will be anything but easy. BYU and Utah arguably are facing their most difficult schedules in history, and Utah State's slate of opponents is considerably more difficult as well.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20