PROVO — BYU defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna has been named to the 2013 Outland Trophy Watch List, announced today by the Football Writers Association of America.
Manumaleuna enters the 2013 season slated as the starter at defensive tackle for BYU. The versatile lineman has started 38 games for BYU at both nose tackle and end. A four-year starter, he is returning from a season-ending injury that sidelined him after four starts last year.
Manumaleuna has 96 tackles, including 10 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks, and one interception during his career. Among his many career highlights, he blocked a field goal attempt from his nose tackle position in the closing moments of the 2007 Las Vegas Bowl to give BYU a win over UCLA.
The BYU senior is one of 75 players on the watch list and one of eight players from the state of Utah to be mentioned in a college football award preseason watch list. See all eight players up for honors.
BYU boasts two previous Outland Trophy winners with defensive lineman Jason Buck earning the award in 1986 and offensive lineman Mohammed Elewonibi receiving the honor in 1989.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27