Ravell Call, Deseret News
With names such as McMahon, Detmer, Bosco and Young at the helm, BYU has long been known for its aerial attack. For that reason, many seem to forget how many great rushers the Cougars have had over the years. Now that Robert Anae is once again offensive coordinator, there could be many more.
With that in mind, today we take a look back and rank the 15 best rushers in BYU history.
Yards, touchdowns and yards per carry were a few factors in this ranking, but I also looked at style and substance, power and speed, nimbleness and the ability to break tackles. This list is meant to be based only on a player’s ability as a rusher and not his total game.
There are more than just running backs that make this list. Restricting the ranking would short-change the great running quarterbacks at BYU. A list like this is not complete without them.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48