Ravell Call, Deseret News
With names such as McMahon, Detmer, Bosco and Young at the helm, BYU has long been known for its aerial attack. For that reason, many seem to forget how many great rushers the Cougars have had over the years. Now that Robert Anae is once again offensive coordinator, there could be many more.
With that in mind, today we take a look back and rank the 15 best rushers in BYU history.
Yards, touchdowns and yards per carry were a few factors in this ranking, but I also looked at style and substance, power and speed, nimbleness and the ability to break tackles. This list is meant to be based only on a player’s ability as a rusher and not his total game.
There are more than just running backs that make this list. Restricting the ranking would short-change the great running quarterbacks at BYU. A list like this is not complete without them.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26