BYU basketball: Tyler Haws, playing sparingly for Team USA, cites Mormon faith as hoops asset
Tom Smart, Deseret News
KAZAN, Russia — Through four games at the World University Games, playing time has been scarce for BYU's Tyler Haws. The 6-foot-5 swingman has averaged just 1.8 points and 7.5 minutes per game. The normally sharp-shooting Haws has struggled with his shot, making only 2 of 9 from the field and 0 of 3 from 3-point range.
Notwithstanding his early struggles, Haws has said he's grateful for the opportunity to represent his country. The BYU star recently cited his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a reason for a lot of his success on the hardwood.
“I felt I learned lots of leadership skills and lots of people skills that help in every aspect of your life," Haws told USA Basketball. "I saw lots of people being converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, seeing their lives change. It was awesome.”
Team USA dismantled its first three opponents (United Arab Emirates, 140-46; Czech Republic, 96-53; and Sweden, 83-65) before suffering its first loss of the tournament Thursday (Australia, 93-84). Haws did not play against Australia.
So far, Team USA has been led by Creighton's Doug McDermott and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, who have averaged 15.3 and 14 points per game, respectively.
Team USA will next square off against Canada on Friday at 3 a.m. MDT. All games can be seen on delay on ESPNU.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20