BYU basketball: Tyler Haws, playing sparingly for Team USA, cites Mormon faith as hoops asset
Tom Smart, Deseret News
KAZAN, Russia — Through four games at the World University Games, playing time has been scarce for BYU's Tyler Haws. The 6-foot-5 swingman has averaged just 1.8 points and 7.5 minutes per game. The normally sharp-shooting Haws has struggled with his shot, making only 2 of 9 from the field and 0 of 3 from 3-point range.
Notwithstanding his early struggles, Haws has said he's grateful for the opportunity to represent his country. The BYU star recently cited his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a reason for a lot of his success on the hardwood.
“I felt I learned lots of leadership skills and lots of people skills that help in every aspect of your life," Haws told USA Basketball. "I saw lots of people being converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, seeing their lives change. It was awesome.”
Team USA dismantled its first three opponents (United Arab Emirates, 140-46; Czech Republic, 96-53; and Sweden, 83-65) before suffering its first loss of the tournament Thursday (Australia, 93-84). Haws did not play against Australia.
So far, Team USA has been led by Creighton's Doug McDermott and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, who have averaged 15.3 and 14 points per game, respectively.
Team USA will next square off against Canada on Friday at 3 a.m. MDT. All games can be seen on delay on ESPNU.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22