BYU basketball: Tyler Haws, playing sparingly for Team USA, cites Mormon faith as hoops asset
Tom Smart, Deseret News
KAZAN, Russia — Through four games at the World University Games, playing time has been scarce for BYU's Tyler Haws. The 6-foot-5 swingman has averaged just 1.8 points and 7.5 minutes per game. The normally sharp-shooting Haws has struggled with his shot, making only 2 of 9 from the field and 0 of 3 from 3-point range.
Notwithstanding his early struggles, Haws has said he's grateful for the opportunity to represent his country. The BYU star recently cited his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a reason for a lot of his success on the hardwood.
“I felt I learned lots of leadership skills and lots of people skills that help in every aspect of your life," Haws told USA Basketball. "I saw lots of people being converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, seeing their lives change. It was awesome.”
Team USA dismantled its first three opponents (United Arab Emirates, 140-46; Czech Republic, 96-53; and Sweden, 83-65) before suffering its first loss of the tournament Thursday (Australia, 93-84). Haws did not play against Australia.
So far, Team USA has been led by Creighton's Doug McDermott and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, who have averaged 15.3 and 14 points per game, respectively.
Team USA will next square off against Canada on Friday at 3 a.m. MDT. All games can be seen on delay on ESPNU.
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14