BYU basketball: Tyler Haws, playing sparingly for Team USA, cites Mormon faith as hoops asset
Tom Smart, Deseret News
KAZAN, Russia — Through four games at the World University Games, playing time has been scarce for BYU's Tyler Haws. The 6-foot-5 swingman has averaged just 1.8 points and 7.5 minutes per game. The normally sharp-shooting Haws has struggled with his shot, making only 2 of 9 from the field and 0 of 3 from 3-point range.
Notwithstanding his early struggles, Haws has said he's grateful for the opportunity to represent his country. The BYU star recently cited his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a reason for a lot of his success on the hardwood.
“I felt I learned lots of leadership skills and lots of people skills that help in every aspect of your life," Haws told USA Basketball. "I saw lots of people being converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ, seeing their lives change. It was awesome.”
Team USA dismantled its first three opponents (United Arab Emirates, 140-46; Czech Republic, 96-53; and Sweden, 83-65) before suffering its first loss of the tournament Thursday (Australia, 93-84). Haws did not play against Australia.
So far, Team USA has been led by Creighton's Doug McDermott and Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, who have averaged 15.3 and 14 points per game, respectively.
Team USA will next square off against Canada on Friday at 3 a.m. MDT. All games can be seen on delay on ESPNU.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: roundup of...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- The name game: pronouncing the names of the...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 74
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 41
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40