BYU football: Kyle Van Noy named to 2013 Bronko Nagurski Trophy preseason watch list
Jaren Wilkey, BYU
PROVO — BYU All-American linebacker Kyle Van Noy has been named to the 2013 Bronko Nagurski Trophy preseason watch list, which was unveiled today by the Football Writers Association of America.
Also a candidate for the 2013 Bednarik Award, which also honors the nation’s top defensive player, Van Noy is a repeat selection to the Nagurski Trophy watch list. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound outside linebacker is coming off an All-America season in 2012 during which he finished tied for second nationally with 13 sacks and six forced fumbles and ranked No. 4 in the nation with 22 tackles for loss.
Van Noy, from Reno, Nev., is the only FBS player to record a stat in every major defensive category in each of the past two seasons. He has helped BYU achieve bowl wins during each of his three seasons in Provo.
Headlining the preseason watch list for the Nagurski Award is South Carolina junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. He's the lone returning finalist from last season.
Van Noy is one of the 81 players and 27 linebackers on the watch list, which also includes 28 defensive linemen and 26 defensive backs. The Bronko Nagurski Trophy is awarded annually to the national defensive player of the year by the FWAA and Charlotte Touchdown Club.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35