BYU football: Kyle Van Noy named to 2013 Bronko Nagurski Trophy preseason watch list
Jaren Wilkey, BYU
PROVO — BYU All-American linebacker Kyle Van Noy has been named to the 2013 Bronko Nagurski Trophy preseason watch list, which was unveiled today by the Football Writers Association of America.
Also a candidate for the 2013 Bednarik Award, which also honors the nation’s top defensive player, Van Noy is a repeat selection to the Nagurski Trophy watch list. The 6-foot-4, 245-pound outside linebacker is coming off an All-America season in 2012 during which he finished tied for second nationally with 13 sacks and six forced fumbles and ranked No. 4 in the nation with 22 tackles for loss.
Van Noy, from Reno, Nev., is the only FBS player to record a stat in every major defensive category in each of the past two seasons. He has helped BYU achieve bowl wins during each of his three seasons in Provo.
Headlining the preseason watch list for the Nagurski Award is South Carolina junior defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. He's the lone returning finalist from last season.
Van Noy is one of the 81 players and 27 linebackers on the watch list, which also includes 28 defensive linemen and 26 defensive backs. The Bronko Nagurski Trophy is awarded annually to the national defensive player of the year by the FWAA and Charlotte Touchdown Club.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48