Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A smokey two-alarm fire near state Route 201 shut down traffic in both directions Tuesday night.
Both Salt Lake City and West Valley City firefighters responded to the blaze at 6706 W. 2100 South about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. The fire torched much of a home near Rocky Mountain Storage.
The couple who manages the storage unit rents the home, and the man who lives there said he was attempting to burn the ends of frayed nylon rope when the fire started, a witness said.
The fire began in the garage and spread to the house, Salt Lake firefighters reported. No storage units were damaged.
The small family made it safely out of the home before crews arrived on scene.
Traffic on the 21st South freeway was shut down in both directions between 5600 West and 7200 West for nearly and hour and half while crews battled the blaze, the Utah Department of Transportation reported. All lanes were open by 8:25 p.m.
In the midst of a dry, hot summer, Salt Lake fire spokesman Jasen Asay said crews hurried to extinguish the fire before it could spread.
"Fire crews throughout the valley know the dangers of the heat and summer, and they're prepared," Asay said. "Anytime they get called to a fire you know they're going to act fast."
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21