Utah Jazz: Rudy Gobert needs minor medical procedure on foot
ORLANDO, Fla. — Utah Jazz rookie Rudy Gobert is trying to put his best foot forward for his new team.
As for the center's other foot, well, it needs some help after summer league is over.
Gobert is playing with inflammation in his foot caused by an ingrown toenail. The 7-1 big man said he'll have the medical procedure done in France when he returns home to Cholet.
"I just need a very small surgery," he said, "and I'll be good (in) two weeks."
While in France, Gobert will obtain a work visa required for him to play in the NBA next season. He won't work out with the French national team this summer but plans on returning to play for "Les Bleus" next offseason.
Gobert, who only played seven minutes Wednesday, plans to move to Utah in August to begin training for fall camp.
INJURY PART DEUX: Jazz forward Jeremy Evans is also playing hurt. He broke his nose at mini-camp last week, and will have it re-evaluated next week. Evans scored 15 points with nine rebounds in the Jazz's 98-69 win over Brooklyn.
ROUGH YEAR: Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey admitted that he and Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, put Utah coach Tyrone Corbin in a tough spot last season. The 43-39 team missed the playoffs while trying to make a playoff push with seven veterans on expiring contracts and younger players needing but not always getting court time to blossom.
"We were trying to give the veterans their proper respect and opportunity as well as develop," Lindsey said in a phone interview with beat writers.
"On a season basis, Ty did a very good job. With any one game it became difficult at certain points. And times it certainly felt like we were trying to serve two different directions and sometimes going in completely opposite ways."
UP NEXT: The Summer Jazz play the Summer Pacers this morning at 9 a.m. MDT in their final game before Championship Day on Friday.
Point guard Trey Burke sat out Wednesday, but he's expected to start again for the 2-1 Jazz. Utah needs a win to remain alive to play for the inaugural Orlando Pro Summer League title.
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Morning links: Utah's Devontae Booker a...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 91
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 47
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 43
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 42
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 24