"SUIT UP," by John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat, Brad Wilcox, Deseret Book, $11.99, 131 pages (nf)
Since LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson's historic missionary announcement at the October 2012 general conference, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of young men and women applying to serve missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In an effort to help these young people prepare for their missions, seven popular LDS authors — John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat and Brad Wilcox — have combined their talents and experience to share insights and thoughts regarding missionary work in a pocket-size book titled "Suit Up." The little book is intended to help teens get ready for all they will encounter in the mission field.
"If you were planning to participate in an athletic event, you would definitely want to be wearing the right clothes," the authors wrote in the book's introduction. "This book is all about helping you 'suit up' spiritually to become better prepared for the unique missionary adventure that awaits you."
The book consists of seven compact chapters, with each author discussing a verse from Doctrine and Covenants 4:
“The Lord’s Marvelous Work” by Hank Smith
“Give it Everything You’ve Got” by John Bytheway
“I’ll Be What You Want Me to Be” by Jennifer Platt
“Thrusting in our Sickle” by Brad Wilcox
“The Essential Credentials” by Anthony Sweat
“I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” by Laurel Christensen
“Ask and Ye Shall Receive” by John Hilton III
At the end of each chapter is a link that will take the reader to seek.deseretbook.com where there are videos of each chapter's author discussing the topic with future Mormon missionaries. These videos can also be accessed using mobile device QR code apps.
"Suit Up" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 84
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 77
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 18
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 17
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 12
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 10
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 10
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 10