What's new: 'Suit Up' encourages LDS youths to prepare for missionary service
"SUIT UP," by John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat, Brad Wilcox, Deseret Book, $11.99, 131 pages (nf)
Since LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson's historic missionary announcement at the October 2012 general conference, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of young men and women applying to serve missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In an effort to help these young people prepare for their missions, seven popular LDS authors — John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat and Brad Wilcox — have combined their talents and experience to share insights and thoughts regarding missionary work in a pocket-size book titled "Suit Up." The little book is intended to help teens get ready for all they will encounter in the mission field.
"If you were planning to participate in an athletic event, you would definitely want to be wearing the right clothes," the authors wrote in the book's introduction. "This book is all about helping you 'suit up' spiritually to become better prepared for the unique missionary adventure that awaits you."
The book consists of seven compact chapters, with each author discussing a verse from Doctrine and Covenants 4:
“The Lord’s Marvelous Work” by Hank Smith
“Give it Everything You’ve Got” by John Bytheway
“I’ll Be What You Want Me to Be” by Jennifer Platt
“Thrusting in our Sickle” by Brad Wilcox
“The Essential Credentials” by Anthony Sweat
“I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” by Laurel Christensen
“Ask and Ye Shall Receive” by John Hilton III
At the end of each chapter is a link that will take the reader to seek.deseretbook.com where there are videos of each chapter's author discussing the topic with future Mormon missionaries. These videos can also be accessed using mobile device QR code apps.
"Suit Up" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 41
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11