What's new: 'Suit Up' encourages LDS youths to prepare for missionary service
"SUIT UP," by John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat, Brad Wilcox, Deseret Book, $11.99, 131 pages (nf)
Since LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson's historic missionary announcement at the October 2012 general conference, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of young men and women applying to serve missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
In an effort to help these young people prepare for their missions, seven popular LDS authors — John Bytheway, Laurel Christensen, John Hilton III, Jennifer Platt, Hank Smith, Anthony Sweat and Brad Wilcox — have combined their talents and experience to share insights and thoughts regarding missionary work in a pocket-size book titled "Suit Up." The little book is intended to help teens get ready for all they will encounter in the mission field.
"If you were planning to participate in an athletic event, you would definitely want to be wearing the right clothes," the authors wrote in the book's introduction. "This book is all about helping you 'suit up' spiritually to become better prepared for the unique missionary adventure that awaits you."
The book consists of seven compact chapters, with each author discussing a verse from Doctrine and Covenants 4:
“The Lord’s Marvelous Work” by Hank Smith
“Give it Everything You’ve Got” by John Bytheway
“I’ll Be What You Want Me to Be” by Jennifer Platt
“Thrusting in our Sickle” by Brad Wilcox
“The Essential Credentials” by Anthony Sweat
“I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” by Laurel Christensen
“Ask and Ye Shall Receive” by John Hilton III
At the end of each chapter is a link that will take the reader to seek.deseretbook.com where there are videos of each chapter's author discussing the topic with future Mormon missionaries. These videos can also be accessed using mobile device QR code apps.
"Suit Up" is available wherever LDS books are sold.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals who...
- Thousands of youth participate in the Days of...
- Catholic leaders speak out as controversy...
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 33
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 19
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- Does Hollywood demean — or... 9
- Who boos an opening prayer? The... 7
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 7