The Atlanta Hawks made former Jazz forward Paul Millsap their top acquisition priority this offseason, sealing the deal Wednesday.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry announced Millsap officially signed his new contract Wednesday morning. Atlanta wasted no time, contacting Millsap at 12:01 a.m. by phone to reassure Millsap of the team's interest. Millsap reportedly signed a projected two-year, $19 million deal, although official terms were not disclosed per team policy.
"Paul (Millsap) was one of our top priorities entering the free agency process and we believe he is a great fit with the team and culture that we are trying to build,” Ferry said in a news release.
Over his seven-year NBA tenure, Millsap has averaged 12.4 points and 7 rebounds per game. He played all seven years in Utah after being drafted 47th overall by the Jazz in 2006.
Ferry believes Millsap is a perfect fit for the Hawks' front court, praising him for his overall toughness and positive attitude.
"He is a high-character individual and his toughness, high basketball IQ and selflessness will add to our locker room and give us versatility on the court," Ferry said in the release.
Before signing day, Millsap also said his attitude and leadership would bring a positive vibe to his new team.
"First, I bring definitely a winning attitude," Millsap told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I’m a guy who doesn’t like to lose, no matter what it is. I have a very competitive nature. Leadership role. Those are the main focal points that I want to bring to the team.”
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 104
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19