Utah Jazz: Paul Millsap officially joins Atlanta Hawks on NBA signing day
The Atlanta Hawks made former Jazz forward Paul Millsap their top acquisition priority this offseason, sealing the deal Wednesday.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry announced Millsap officially signed his new contract Wednesday morning. Atlanta wasted no time, contacting Millsap at 12:01 a.m. by phone to reassure Millsap of the team's interest. Millsap reportedly signed a projected two-year, $19 million deal, although official terms were not disclosed per team policy.
"Paul (Millsap) was one of our top priorities entering the free agency process and we believe he is a great fit with the team and culture that we are trying to build,” Ferry said in a news release.
Over his seven-year NBA tenure, Millsap has averaged 12.4 points and 7 rebounds per game. He played all seven years in Utah after being drafted 47th overall by the Jazz in 2006.
Ferry believes Millsap is a perfect fit for the Hawks' front court, praising him for his overall toughness and positive attitude.
"He is a high-character individual and his toughness, high basketball IQ and selflessness will add to our locker room and give us versatility on the court," Ferry said in the release.
Before signing day, Millsap also said his attitude and leadership would bring a positive vibe to his new team.
"First, I bring definitely a winning attitude," Millsap told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I’m a guy who doesn’t like to lose, no matter what it is. I have a very competitive nature. Leadership role. Those are the main focal points that I want to bring to the team.”
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20