Utah Jazz: Paul Millsap officially joins Atlanta Hawks on NBA signing day
The Atlanta Hawks made former Jazz forward Paul Millsap their top acquisition priority this offseason, sealing the deal Wednesday.
Hawks general manager Danny Ferry announced Millsap officially signed his new contract Wednesday morning. Atlanta wasted no time, contacting Millsap at 12:01 a.m. by phone to reassure Millsap of the team's interest. Millsap reportedly signed a projected two-year, $19 million deal, although official terms were not disclosed per team policy.
"Paul (Millsap) was one of our top priorities entering the free agency process and we believe he is a great fit with the team and culture that we are trying to build,” Ferry said in a news release.
Over his seven-year NBA tenure, Millsap has averaged 12.4 points and 7 rebounds per game. He played all seven years in Utah after being drafted 47th overall by the Jazz in 2006.
Ferry believes Millsap is a perfect fit for the Hawks' front court, praising him for his overall toughness and positive attitude.
"He is a high-character individual and his toughness, high basketball IQ and selflessness will add to our locker room and give us versatility on the court," Ferry said in the release.
Before signing day, Millsap also said his attitude and leadership would bring a positive vibe to his new team.
"First, I bring definitely a winning attitude," Millsap told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I’m a guy who doesn’t like to lose, no matter what it is. I have a very competitive nature. Leadership role. Those are the main focal points that I want to bring to the team.”
Whitney O'Bannon is a new media sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow on Twitter at @whitney_oban.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 67
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37