Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO — The Utah Valley Chamber of Commerce with the Young Entrepreneurs Academy and Utah County Academy of Sciences has announced it is sponsoring a program for young entrepreneurs in Utah Valley.
The YEA! Educational program takes participating students in grades six through 12 through the process of starting and running a real business. Applications for the program are available online. The deadline is Aug. 1
During the program, students work closely with local business leaders to cultivate and research business ideas, write a business plan, pitch their plan to a panel of investors to obtain funding, develop their brand, participate in a trade show at the end of the year, and actually launch their enterprise.
Prior business experience is not required. The after-school program will be held at the Utah County Academy of Sciences on the Utah Valley University campus on Thursdays from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. The YEA! academic year begins in October and ends in May. In addition, students will need to provide a current school transcript; provide a letter of recommendation written by a teacher, guidance counselor, religious or community leader; provide a written essay; pay a $10 application fee; and participate in a personal interview.
The program will be implemented through local schools including higher education institutions.
More information is available on the Utah Valley Chamber YEA Facebook page.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 43
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 27