2013 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
Elder D. Todd Christofferson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Quorum of the Twelve created the 100th Stake in Peru on June 30.
Peru is the fourth country to have more than 100 LDS stakes, including the United States (1,504), Brazil (249), and Mexico (226). The LDS membership in Peru has almost doubled in the past 20 years with nearly 528,000 members today, according to the Daily Herald.
In his address to members in the Sunday service, Elder Christofferson talked about the importance of service, as well as church growth in Peru since its first stake was created in 1970. In addition to 100 stakes, Peru also has one temple in operation, with one announced and another under construction.
On the Saturday night before Elder Christofferson’s remarks, about 14,000 local members gathered at the University of San Marcos stadium where they celebrated with cultural dances, a parade of 300 former and current Mormon missionaries and a video about the church’s 50-year history in Peru, according to Mormon Newsroom.com. The event was the largest gathering of Latter-day Saint members in Peru.
While in Peru, Elder Christofferson also gave a live interview on Peru National Radio where he talked about a scheduled day of service (Dec. 7) to clean Peru’s coasts that will be open to members and anyone who wants to participate. He also met with a Peruvian congressman to discussed the importance of families in society.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 79
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 47
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12