Utah Jazz: The Stifle Tower? French center Rudy Gobert making a big first impression
The last part of that quote is what excites the Jazz the most — well, aside from how he's nearly as tall as the Eiffel Tower. After trading the No. 46 pick and cash for Gobert, Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said Utah would be impressed by how hard the young big man works.
"He's going to continue to learn and continue to grow," Lowe said. "What I love about Rudy is he's a serious young man. He's serious about the game and he wants to do the right thing."
Burks also likes that about his new teammate, who'll have playing opportunities this season behind Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Andris Biedrins now that starting big men Al Jefferson (Charlotte) and Paul Millsap (Atlanta) have gone elsewhere.
"I like his work ethic a lot," he said Tuesday. "He comes in and works hard and don’t say nothing."
That's not because he's busy thumbing through a French-to-English dictionary. For a year and a half, Gobert has been taking English lessons so he could communicate without problems from the get-go of his NBA career. While his English has a charming French accent, the 21-year-old already has a solid grasp on the language.
Like everything he's experiencing right now, there's room for improvement, bien sur. Gobert said he also wants to work on improving his physical strength, becoming more effective offensively — he did have a nice catch-and-dunk play Tuesday — and learning his spots on the floor.
"Now, he's just got to get a little more comfortable with the offense, knowing where he's going to get his shots and things of that nature," Lowe said. "But we've been very pleased with the short period of time just with his progression."
Gobert is committed to continuing that past his first week of work with the Jazz.
"Just play and get better — work and I'm going to be good."
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44