Jen Pilgreen, Deseret News
WEST JORDAN — For the second time in two weeks, thieves have stolen air conditioning units at the Victory Baptist Church.
The church doesn't have insurance, so it will have to raise the $3,000 to replace them.
Police say two air conditioning units on the north side of the church at 7625 S. 3200 West were stolen on June 30. Then on Sunday, two units on the south side of the building were taken.
Pastor Jose Chargoy said he was unemployed for a while and let the church’s insurance lapse, so the congregation will have to raise money to replace the units. Chargoy now has a job, but he still can’t afford to insure the building.
Not having air conditioning during church makes sermons tough on families in the congregation, he said.
“We have kids that are a few months old, and it can get really hot here,” Chargoy said.
West Jordan police said thieves also stole air conditioning units from an LDS Church next door to Victory Baptist twice around the same time. They said crooks often strip the units for copper and scrap metal.
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7