Amy Sancetta, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — After last month's surge, Utah drivers welcomed a slight drop in gas prices in July.
The AAA Gas Price Report for July showed the current average price for a gallon of regular gasoline in the Beehive State was $3.71 — down two cents from the same time last month.
Utah followed the national trend of lower prices as regional supply disruptions were resolved. The average price has declined since June 25 when Utah reached its highest average price for the year at $3.76 per gallon, the report stated.
Utah cities report both increases and decreases from last month’s survey. The largest decrease was registered in Moab, which was down 8 cents, while the greatest increase, 6 cents, was reported in Vernal and St. George.
Nationally, the average price was $3.48 per gallon, a 15-cent drop since last month’s report. The highest price was reported in Hawaii at $4.31 a gallon, with California reporting the highest price in the contiguous 48 states at $3.98.
Conversely, the lowest price in the country was reported in South Carolina at $3.16. The highest national average price for 2013, of $3.79, was reported in February.
Crude oil prices moved higher this month with reports of the escalating protests in Egypt and positive economic news. West Texas Intermediate crude moved over the $100 per barrel mark on July 3. Investors worry that the unrest in Egypt may spread through the Middle East and North Africa, causing potential shipping disruptions, said AAA Utah spokesperson Rolayne Fairclough.
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- 3 reasons you should crowdfund your business
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to advance...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 45
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 22
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings 8
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- Want to see if your relationship will... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 1