SALT LAKE CITY — Police are trying to sort through the details of a bank robbery that ended with an unexpected twist.
About 1 p.m. Monday, an armed woman between 50 and 60 years old who witnesses described as having bad or no teeth and wearing a pastel head scarf and cream-colored pants walked into Bank of Utah, 711 S. State, and demanded money.
The woman ran north toward 200 East after allegedly robbing the bank, where she dropped the money, which by that point was covered with red ink from a dye-pack that exploded.
Police did not locate the woman. But they found Nathan Martinez, 22, and Alexander Bingham, 22, who were carrying red-stained money in their pockets. They told officers they found the money on the ground, said Salt Lake City Police detective Veronica Montoya.
Both were arrested for investigation of obstruction of justice. Investigators had not confirmed Tuesday whether the men had any connection to the woman or if they happened to come across the money lying on the ground. Montoya said if that were the case, they should have recognized the situation was more than just finding a $10 bill on the ground that fell out of someone's pocket.
The red ink, the amount of money and the fact there was a heavy police presence in the area should have all been indicators to the men that they needed to call police instead of pocketing the money, she said.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9