Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The latest in a series of afternoon thunderstorms hit hard and fast Monday, flooding roads in some areas of the Salt Lake Valley.
Temperatures dropped 10 to 15 degrees in 10-15 minutes as the storm hit, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank reported, then climbed into the 90s again once the storm had passed.
"We had a stretch of six days of 100-degree weather. Then we've had a stretch of five days with scattered showers and thunderstorms," Eubank said. "We just go from feast to famine, depending on what you like."
Nearly a half-inch of rain fell in Murray about 5 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Salt Lake City saw .27 inches and Taylorsville got .26 inches.
Salt Lake City has already passed its average .61 inches of rainfall for July, tallying .82 inches as of Monday evening, Eubank reported. The Bountiful bench is also above normal for July, with 1.66 inches recorded so far, topping its average of .93 inches.
But the storms have dissipated, and there's more heat in the days to come.
The Wasatch Front could see highs of 99 degrees Tuesday and 100-plus degrees Wednesday and Thursday, Eubank said. Highs are expected to stay in the upper 90s through the weekend.
With the dry air and rising temperatures comes a heightened fire risk for parts of Utah and Wyoming, the National Weather Service advised.
Monday's storm system also brought wind gusts to the Salt Lake and Tooele valleys. The National Weather Service reporter wind gusts of 40 mph to 55 mph between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- New protocol to help domestic violence...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick meal,...
- Health experts encourage safe food handling...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 9
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7