Family affair: Bees infielder Andrew Romine, brother Austin have followed in their father's footsteps
While his sons play for different teams, Kevin’s Red Sox roots still run deep.
“I still cannot bring myself to don a Yankees or Angels hat,” he said, noting the friendly rivalry within the family. “Although, I do wear one of their minor league affiliate hats to show support when I go to one of their games.”
June, on the other hand, was dressed in an Angels jersey and a Yankees hat the day Austin made his debut.
“She has been there for me and the boys throughout all of our careers,” Kevin said of his wife, who is a successful special education teacher.
“She’s been the cornerstone of everything for us,” Andrew said. “Pushing us to succeed and helping us not get back and feel bad about ourselves or sad because we’re doing badly. She keeps us happy and keeps us going forward.”
It was the home culture Kevin and June created for their kids that has allowed them to reach the full potential of their talents as adults.
“They were taught no task was too hard; all things can be achieved through dedication and hard work,” Kevin said. “Outside of baseball, be good to people, treat them as you would have them treat you. Be someone that people can rely on and trust.”
Austin, who is married and is a new dad himself, has caught 31 games for the Yankees this season after being recalled at the end of April. Andrew has served as a utility infielder, playing 56 games with the Salt Lake Bees after starting the season in Anaheim.
“We're part of something that's bigger than us,” Andrew said. “It's a huge game. There's been so many people who have come through the game, and now my dad's been a part of it and my brother's been a part of it and I got to be part of it. To be able to say that we've all made it to the big league level, it's very special for our family because baseball is a big part of our family."
Then he added, “And hopefully, this year or sometime soon, we’ll get another chance play against each other.”
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 23
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21