Tom Smart, Deseret News
From his time as a player in Salt Lake City to his tenure as head coach that is now reaching into its seventh year, Jason Kreis has his name all over Real Salt Lake soccer.
And, he is converting the Salt Lake valley into Real fans while continuing to build and mold a franchise that has established itself as a contender in Major League Soccer.
During his time as a player, when he finished as the MLS all-time leading scorer, to his capability as a front-office administrator, Kreis has shown the leadership needed to guide a successful franchise, Livui Bird of SoccerWire.com wrote in a recent feature on the RSL head coach.
“If I’m an aspiring head coach, I’d come out here, and I’d want to watch Jason Kreis’ training sessions,” veteran defender Nat Borchers told Bird. “I don’t think anybody else in this country runs a training session as well as he does.”
Bird points out that part of the decision-making validity Kreis has with his players is the reputation he built as a player, and it has carried over to his training techniques and personnel decisions. Through his guidance, Rio Tinto Stadium has become one of the MLS' toughest places to play for visiting teams.
According to Bird, RSL's technical staff, from the general manager to assistant coaches, is the only one in the league made up entirely of former MLS players.
“I am flabbergasted that no other MLS team yet has identified that one of the core strengths we have is that everyone in the front office has played in the league for five years or more,” RSL General Manager Garth Lagerwey told Bird. “I just think we have a high soccer IQ, and I think we have a lot of people who know what they’re doing.”
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24