Lowe also pointed out that Burke has been an excellent listener. While admittedly getting "a lot thrown at me this week" — offensive sets, defensive calls, player preferences, coaches' wishes — Burke is absorbing what Tyrone Corbin and his staff are telling him.
So far, he's been quick to apply the lessons learned.
This is a process that will need to be repeated many times for Burke to reach the All-Star level the reigning college player of the year is hoping to reach in his NBA career.
"I'm taking everything serious right now. I want to be as good as I can be. I want to unleash all of my potential at this level," Burke said. "I'm trying to listen a lot. I know I don't know everything when it comes to the mental game or the physical game, so I'm just trying to take as much in and try to implement it in to my game as much as possible."
That's why Burke and the Jazz weren't overly distraught about his offensive clunker from the field. In reality, who cares how many shots he made or missed in a summer league exhibition? The bigger question is whether or not he's making progress — or will make progress — toward being a capable point guard who can lead the Jazz into the future with the likes of Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks.
"I feel like he's good player and is going to make us all better," said Burks after exiting Sunday's game with a mild left ankle sprain. "He draws defenses. That makes my life easier, Gordon's life easier, D-Fav and Enes' life easier. I like that about him a lot."
Less than two weeks into his Jazz career, and he's already getting chummy with the rebuilding team's old guys. Give Burke credit for being a smart 20-year-old.
Burke is also smart enough to realize a bad shooting night isn't something to fret over for too long. Next game's Tuesday, by the way.
"It’s not all about scoring, especially in my position. I have to be a leader out there," Burke said. "I have to get guys going as well, just find ways to lead the team to victory. I felt like I did a solid job of that today."
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 37
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 30
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24