Utah Jazz: Trey Burke has rough Jazz debut, but team likes what he's doing
Lowe also pointed out that Burke has been an excellent listener. While admittedly getting "a lot thrown at me this week" — offensive sets, defensive calls, player preferences, coaches' wishes — Burke is absorbing what Tyrone Corbin and his staff are telling him.
So far, he's been quick to apply the lessons learned.
This is a process that will need to be repeated many times for Burke to reach the All-Star level the reigning college player of the year is hoping to reach in his NBA career.
"I'm taking everything serious right now. I want to be as good as I can be. I want to unleash all of my potential at this level," Burke said. "I'm trying to listen a lot. I know I don't know everything when it comes to the mental game or the physical game, so I'm just trying to take as much in and try to implement it in to my game as much as possible."
That's why Burke and the Jazz weren't overly distraught about his offensive clunker from the field. In reality, who cares how many shots he made or missed in a summer league exhibition? The bigger question is whether or not he's making progress — or will make progress — toward being a capable point guard who can lead the Jazz into the future with the likes of Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks.
"I feel like he's good player and is going to make us all better," said Burks after exiting Sunday's game with a mild left ankle sprain. "He draws defenses. That makes my life easier, Gordon's life easier, D-Fav and Enes' life easier. I like that about him a lot."
Less than two weeks into his Jazz career, and he's already getting chummy with the rebuilding team's old guys. Give Burke credit for being a smart 20-year-old.
Burke is also smart enough to realize a bad shooting night isn't something to fret over for too long. Next game's Tuesday, by the way.
"It’s not all about scoring, especially in my position. I have to be a leader out there," Burke said. "I have to get guys going as well, just find ways to lead the team to victory. I felt like I did a solid job of that today."
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35