SALT LAKE CITY — As Deseret News columnist Brad Rock wrote, “Deep down, everyone wants to be quarterback. It just so happens that on Utah's football team in 2013, almost everyone is.”
In August, five scholarship quarterbacks will be in the program, with another a walk-on. Kyle Whittingham and the Utah coaching staff are smart to stack the position. Ever since co-offensive coordinator Brian Johnson led the Utes as a senior to a Sugar Bowl win in 2009, the Utes — much like Warner Bros.’ Superman franchise — haven’t been able to maintain a consistent starter for several years.
Attempts at liftoff haven’t been smooth. Of course, there’s the Jordan Wynn shoulder saga. Last year, Winchester, Calif., signal-caller Derrick Brown committed to Utah before changing to Washington. Top-rated prospect Michael Eubank of Corona, Calif., showed interest in Utah but is now at Arizona State, Rock reported.
Still, Whittingham said the Utes might have two quarterbacks in the “upper echelon” of the Pac-12 in projected starter Travis Wilson and Adam Schulz — and freshman Brandon Cox is actually listed as a co-backup with Schulz, according to the university’s athletics website.
While Utah athletics media relations was unwilling to check with Whittingham to confirm the assumption that Cox is in that same category, the Utes feel like it can look to the sky in hope with their quarterback circumstances. Logan Bateman is the walk-on, while two 2013 high school graduates will be in Salt Lake City next month.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. He's the co-founder of USU student magazine Aggie BluePrint and a former intern for the Deseret News. @wilklogan | firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21