PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s soccer defeats the Pali Blues, 5–1, after a no-score first half in its second game of the week.
The game began a few moments late, after heeding a lightning warning by Brigham Young University. Despite many fast breaks and shots on goal, BYU ended the first half 0–0 against the Pali Blues.
The pattern was broken in the 56th minute when BYU’s Romy Lakip passed to defender Alex Neff for the first BYU goal of the night. BYU led 1–0 until the 68th minute. Midfielder Doug Clark shot past the Pali Blues goalie with an assist from Blake Frischknecht to widen the gap to 2–0. Frischknecht had his second assist of the night just moments later. Frischknecht passed the ball to Bryson Pope, who placed his shot from the right side of the goal. The Cougars pulled ahead with a 3–0 win.
Frischknecht would not be stopped, however. In the 82nd minute, he had his third assist of the night to forward Jonathan Junca, who scored on a one-on-one against the Pali Blues goalie. The Cougars were expected to end the night with a 4–0 win, but BYU continued to score. In the 87th minute, Matt Rider placed his shot in the upper right corner, unassisted.
BYU almost shutout the Pali Blues, but in the stoppage time, the Pali Blues were awarded a penalty kick. The Blues scored on this penalty to make the score 5–1.
“It’s fun to score five goals in front of a large crowd,” head coach Chris Watkins said. “I’m especially proud of our offense, who played smart in the second half.”
The Cougars’ win boosts their PDL record to 5–6–1 (10–6–1 overall). The BYU Cougars final home game is Friday, July 12 at 7:30 p.m. MST against the Ventura County Fusion. The Cougars will compete at South Field on BYU campus. The match will be streamed live on KSL and Deseret News.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the Public Relations Coordinator for the BYU mens' soccer team.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35