Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
ORLANDO, Fla. — One signing was a formality. The other wasn't.
Both of the Utah Jazz's first-round acquisitions signed their rookie contracts this past week, allowing them to begin their NBA careers Sunday at the Orlando Pro Summer League.
It was a no-brainer that Trey Burke, the 2013 national player of the year, would sign after the Jazz traded two first-round picks (14 and 21) to move up and land the point guard Minnesota selected ninth overall.
The Jazz signed the 6-1 Michigan playmaker to the maximum rookie contract — 120 percent of the preset salary scale of $2,032,300 — it's been confirmed. This means the 20-year-old will make $4,987,320 guaranteed over the next two seasons, with the Jazz owning options for the third and fourth years.
His was the easy contract.
To get Gobert eligible for the NBA, the 7-1 center had to negotiate a buyout with his French league team (Cholet Basket) and receive clearance from FIBA, basketball's international governing body. Last week, even the Jazz weren't sure if he'd be able to clear those hurdles, but he did in time to participate this week.
It's believed the Jazz also signed Gobert to the maximum contract for the 27th pick of $1,078,800 this season. He will make $1,127,400 next season, and the Jazz also own options on him for the third and fourth seasons.
Utah acquired Gobert by sending an undisclosed amount of cash and the 46th pick to Denver.
The Jazz have not yet signed their third draft-night acquisition — Brazilian point guard Raul Neto. The 6-1 player is with the Jazz in Orlando, but he's still under contract with Spain's Lagun Aro GBC and is awaiting FIBA clearance to play in the summer league.
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey was unable to be reached for a comment.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 38
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 22