Mary Bernard, Vernal Express
VERNAL — Fire crews were called to the Sunset Drive-In on Friday night after a grease fire from the theater's deep-fat fryers broke out and destroyed the box office and concessions building.
Uintah Fire District Chief Jeremy Raymond said crews received the call just before midnight and arrived to find flames coming out of the windows and doors of the drive-in's main building.
"The one building was completely destroyed," he said. "It's a total loss."
Raymond said the drive-in had experienced some power outages earlier, which employees believe may have affected the fryers. When the grease fire initially broke out, an employee tried to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful, he said.
Raymond estimated the size of the building as 50-by-50 feet. He said a separate building where the bathrooms and projection equipment are located were damaged but not destroyed.
No injuries were reported.
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 81
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 59
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12