But, let's make no mistake about it, Burke oughta be doing most of the driving — both literally and figuratively.
Yes, it's a brave new era in Jazz basketball, and Utah's youth movement has officially begun.
Lindsey let the team's leading scorer, Al Jefferson, leave Utah when Jefferson agreed to a three-year, $41 million deal with the Charlotte Bobcats. Much like his days in Minnesota, Big Al will continue to score a ton of points, pull down a bunch of rebounds and play very little defense for a team going nowhere.
But, as is often the case with professional athletes, money and stats seem to mean far more to them than winning does.
On Friday, Lindsey pulled the trigger on an interesting deal, acquiring basically three warm bodies — veteran small forward Richard Jefferson, big man Andris Biedrins and shooting guard Brandon Rush — from the Golden State Warriors.
Those three players' biggest contribution to the Jazz will be the fact that their $24 million in combined salaries will help Utah reach the league's minimum requirement and, more importantly, will be off the books when their contracts expire at the end of the 2013-14 season.
That $24 million investment likely means another longtime Jazz favorite, power forward Paul Millsap, won't be back, either. But as much as we hate to see him go, Millsap is part of Utah's past — and not its future.
Now they've only got a couple more roster spots to fill — shooting guard Randy Foye is one guy they ought to bring back — and let the fun (and games) begin.
Lindsey, who's been on the Jazz job less than a year, is quickly putting his stamp on this team as a bold, wheelin'-dealin' G.M. who's not afraid to take risks and make things happen.
After all, that's how they got Burke in this year's draft.
And hopefully, in a couple of years, he can sit back and, with great satisfaction, see how well all these moves worked out.
Kinda like a proud papa who handed the car keys to his kid — and all that young man did was turn out to be the best darned driver in his whole class.
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- Video: Former Ute Steve Smith takes teen with...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Ones that got away: Players who left the Jazz...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 58
- BYU receives commitment from Georgia... 48
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 42
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars close out... 12