MURRAY — A Utah cardiologist with a diverse volunteer and medical background recently was honored by the American Heart Association.
Jeffrey L. Anderson, Intermountain Heart Institute's associate chief of cardiology, was the 2013 recipient of the Physician Volunteer of the Year Award.
“If I had limited my experience to my personal clinical practice alone, I would have missed out on a world of opportunity,” Anderson said. “Volunteering has given me the chance to interact with a much broader range of health care professionals and patients that never would have been possible. Volunteering has unquestionably made me a better physician.”
The American Heart Association selects one physician each year who has helped promote community and individual health.
“Dr. Anderson exemplifies the best in healthcare,” said Dr. Donald Lappe, chief of cardiology of the Intermountain Heart Institute. “He is a great clinician who provides great care and concern for all his patients and has been the source for extensive evidence-based guidelines that have contributed significantly to the excellence of cardiovascular care.”
Anderson's volunteer experience includes 35 years at the American Heart Association and as a member of the Scientific Advisory Coordinating Committee, which focuses on treating and preventing heart disease and stroke.
He is a graduate of Harvard Medical School, did his internal medicine residency at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and finished a fellowship at Stanford University in cardiovascular disease.
— Whitney Evans
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19