Salt Lake Bees: Walk-off grand slam lifts Bees to Fourth of July win over Tacoma
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The fireworks started early for the fans who attended Thursday night's Bees game on the Fourth of July, as the home team pulled out a win in dramatic fashion.
After Salt Lake gave up a three-run lead in the top of the fourth on a game-tying, three-run shot to right, designated hitter Kole Calhoun lifted the Bees with the franchise's fourth walk-off grand slam in team history to give Salt Lake a 7-3 win over the Tacoma Rainiers.
"On the Fourth of July in front of 15,000 people, I don't even know how many people were here. It was a great crowd. Anytime you get a win is good, but a walk-off is even better," Calhoun said.
"I hadn't faced that guy yet. He seemed pretty nasty on film, so I just wanted to try and put a ball in play. I got one that I just put a good swing on and got a good part of the plate. I really wasn't trying to do too much, but I hit it well."
The win moves the Bees to within three games of division-leading Tacoma.
"It was nice to get a good win against a good opponent," manager Keith Johnson said. "We just have to take care of our side of the baseball and let all that other stuff (standings) take care of itself. Definitely with the way the game went, with all the missed opportunities, for us to come out with a win is definitely huge."
The same two teams will take the field again Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35