Salt Lake Bees: Walk-off grand slam lifts Bees to Fourth of July win over Tacoma
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The fireworks started early for the fans who attended Thursday night's Bees game on the Fourth of July, as the home team pulled out a win in dramatic fashion.
After Salt Lake gave up a three-run lead in the top of the fourth on a game-tying, three-run shot to right, designated hitter Kole Calhoun lifted the Bees with the franchise's fourth walk-off grand slam in team history to give Salt Lake a 7-3 win over the Tacoma Rainiers.
"On the Fourth of July in front of 15,000 people, I don't even know how many people were here. It was a great crowd. Anytime you get a win is good, but a walk-off is even better," Calhoun said.
"I hadn't faced that guy yet. He seemed pretty nasty on film, so I just wanted to try and put a ball in play. I got one that I just put a good swing on and got a good part of the plate. I really wasn't trying to do too much, but I hit it well."
The win moves the Bees to within three games of division-leading Tacoma.
"It was nice to get a good win against a good opponent," manager Keith Johnson said. "We just have to take care of our side of the baseball and let all that other stuff (standings) take care of itself. Definitely with the way the game went, with all the missed opportunities, for us to come out with a win is definitely huge."
The same two teams will take the field again Friday night at 7:05 p.m.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 77
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 32