Overnight storm causes flooding, displaces 75 people from Taylorsville apartment complex
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Seventy-five people were displaced Thursday after an overnight rainstorm caused flooding to 24 units of an apartment complex.
"Happy Fourth of July, Utah," said Donte Whittaker, one of the residents evacuated from the Atherton Park Apartments, 4545 S. Atherton Drive. "What a day. What a day."
Whittaker said he's just glad he and his wife were able to get out safely.
"I'm just glad I woke up without being electrocuted," he said. "I have all the stuff plugged in, so I'm glad I got it in time to get it contained and out of there."
Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said storm drains in the corner of the parking complex backed up, causing flooding in the basement apartments of three buildings.
The American Red Cross was contacted to assist residents who will be displaced for "a number of days," Mecham said.
"It's always brutal on a holiday to displace folks from their homes," he said.
Because authorities didn't know where the water was coming from originally, Mecham said getting residents out was "a precautionary measure that we absolutely had to take."
Despite the flooding, Mecham said fire officials prefer the rain to a dry thunderstorm that could spark wildfires.
"Just when you think you might be on top of things, (Mother Nature) makes you think otherwise," he said.
Whittaker said there was at least 6 inches of water in his apartment, but he and his wife were able to get everything packed into plastic bags.
"You gotta be the man, and you kinda can't panic," Whittaker said.
Contributing: Andrew Adams
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 83
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 54
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15