Fireflies in Utah create nature's own fireworks show
Brian Wilcox, BYU
Just in time for the Fourth of July, fireflies are flashing their lights here in Utah, creating natures own natural fireworks' show.
According to BYU Biology professor Seth Bybee, these little light bugs have been popping up near Goshen, in Ogden, Escalante, St. George and the Uinta mountains.
"I think of them as nature's pyrotechnics show because they come out in large numbers and explode randomly," Bybee said. "They produce their own light and it's something that captivates us."
Though their show will be short lived, as the bugs only light up during mating season, these traditionally Eastern U.S. critters are establishing a presence here in Utah and in the West, according to Bybee.
"I anticipate that we will probably find more populations now that we know the kind of environment to look in and the time of year," said BYU biology professor MIchael Whiting. "The sightings have thus far been very rare and it is a mystery why they are have gone so long without detection."
According to a KSL report from June 2012, the light the fireflies make is through bioluminescence, which mixes the two enzymes magnesium and oxygen. And the light they create shine in different colors: greens, yellows and even oranges, which makes for a magical holiday light show.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6