Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said last week in Salt Lake City that his organization won't stop fighting until all 50 states recognize same-sex marriage, predicting it will come about in five years.
Those on the opposite side of the argument, he said, need to "consider the fact they might be wrong on this one. I'm optimistic when that conversation happens, very soon, most folks will come out on the right side of history."
Niederhauser noted that it has taken the Utah Legislature years to even consider in a committee hearing a proposed statewide law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in housing and employment practices.
"We're still working on that policy, so that's why I would say we're some time away" from considering a repeal of Amendment 3, he said.
Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, the Utah Legislature's only openly gay member, said there's plenty of time between now and when lawmakers convene in January for "noble men and women" to rethink their position.
"When all the facts are laid out and when all the fear is taken out of the issue, I think they're going to be reasonable and recognize there's civil marriage and there's religious marriage," he said.
Burbank said he wouldn't be surprised to see legislators propose resolutions affirming traditional marriage in January.
Wardle said he doesn't think the Legislature needs to make a formal declaration but individual lawmakers should make it clear that there's no reason to back away from Utah's definition of marriage.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12