Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said last week in Salt Lake City that his organization won't stop fighting until all 50 states recognize same-sex marriage, predicting it will come about in five years.
Those on the opposite side of the argument, he said, need to "consider the fact they might be wrong on this one. I'm optimistic when that conversation happens, very soon, most folks will come out on the right side of history."
Niederhauser noted that it has taken the Utah Legislature years to even consider in a committee hearing a proposed statewide law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in housing and employment practices.
"We're still working on that policy, so that's why I would say we're some time away" from considering a repeal of Amendment 3, he said.
Sen. Jim Dabakis, D-Salt Lake City, the Utah Legislature's only openly gay member, said there's plenty of time between now and when lawmakers convene in January for "noble men and women" to rethink their position.
"When all the facts are laid out and when all the fear is taken out of the issue, I think they're going to be reasonable and recognize there's civil marriage and there's religious marriage," he said.
Burbank said he wouldn't be surprised to see legislators propose resolutions affirming traditional marriage in January.
Wardle said he doesn't think the Legislature needs to make a formal declaration but individual lawmakers should make it clear that there's no reason to back away from Utah's definition of marriage.
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Sister missionaries relocated from Provo MTC...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- Ask a Chef: 3 funeral potato recipes that...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry for...
- Roosevelt officer justified in shooting death...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 93
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 48
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 34
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 27
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- Educators, parents see four-year high... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13