Follow the nose: Salt Lake fire department swears in new accelerant detection K-9
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The newest member of the Salt Lake City Fire Department has a nose up on arsonists and is planning on using those skills to sniff out the causes of fires.
The new investigator is accelerant detection K-9 Daz. Daz, a Labrador retriever, and his handler, Arson Investigator Russ Whitney recently completed the five-week canine-accelerant detection school sponsored by State Farm Insurance and certified by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10