SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Jesselie Anderson and Joyce Valdez to the State Board of Regents, the governor's office announced Wednesday.
Anderson and Valdez replace outgoing regents Nolan Karras and Marlon Snow. Their appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
"Jesselie and Joyce are joining the Board of Regents at a time when our greatest educational challenges lie before us,” Herbert said in a prepared statement. “I’m confident their extensive ability and experience will greatly benefit Utah's education system, helping us move toward our economically essential goal of more postsecondary degrees and certifications.”
Anderson currently serves on a number of boards and committees, including the Legacy of Life Committee, the Olene S. Walker Institute of Politics and Public Service, and the Zoo, Arts and Parks Preservation Committee. She has previously served on the Governor's Mansion Foundation and the trustee boards of Salt Lake Community College and The Children's Center.
“I am honored and very appreciative to have the opportunity to work with the Board of Regents and the tremendous system of higher education that we have in the state,” Anderson said in a prepared statement.
Valdez currently serves on the University of Utah board of trustees and works as a community liaison for Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker. She previously spent 17 years working at the Salt Lake Community College as an adviser for the Turning Point Program, which assists single parents in completing their education.
"As a native of Utah, I am honored by this appointment from Gov. Herbert,” Valdez said in a prepared statement. “Education is the key to success, and I am happy to help others reach their goals.”
In addition to the appointments of Anderson and Valdez, Herbert issued reappointments to regents Daniel Wayne Campbell, Robert Scott Marquardt and Teresa L. Theurer.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Elderly man hit, killed after chasing dog...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12