SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Jesselie Anderson and Joyce Valdez to the State Board of Regents, the governor's office announced Wednesday.
Anderson and Valdez replace outgoing regents Nolan Karras and Marlon Snow. Their appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
"Jesselie and Joyce are joining the Board of Regents at a time when our greatest educational challenges lie before us,” Herbert said in a prepared statement. “I’m confident their extensive ability and experience will greatly benefit Utah's education system, helping us move toward our economically essential goal of more postsecondary degrees and certifications.”
Anderson currently serves on a number of boards and committees, including the Legacy of Life Committee, the Olene S. Walker Institute of Politics and Public Service, and the Zoo, Arts and Parks Preservation Committee. She has previously served on the Governor's Mansion Foundation and the trustee boards of Salt Lake Community College and The Children's Center.
“I am honored and very appreciative to have the opportunity to work with the Board of Regents and the tremendous system of higher education that we have in the state,” Anderson said in a prepared statement.
Valdez currently serves on the University of Utah board of trustees and works as a community liaison for Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker. She previously spent 17 years working at the Salt Lake Community College as an adviser for the Turning Point Program, which assists single parents in completing their education.
"As a native of Utah, I am honored by this appointment from Gov. Herbert,” Valdez said in a prepared statement. “Education is the key to success, and I am happy to help others reach their goals.”
In addition to the appointments of Anderson and Valdez, Herbert issued reappointments to regents Daniel Wayne Campbell, Robert Scott Marquardt and Teresa L. Theurer.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 39
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14