SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Jesselie Anderson and Joyce Valdez to the State Board of Regents, the governor's office announced Wednesday.
Anderson and Valdez replace outgoing regents Nolan Karras and Marlon Snow. Their appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
"Jesselie and Joyce are joining the Board of Regents at a time when our greatest educational challenges lie before us,” Herbert said in a prepared statement. “I’m confident their extensive ability and experience will greatly benefit Utah's education system, helping us move toward our economically essential goal of more postsecondary degrees and certifications.”
Anderson currently serves on a number of boards and committees, including the Legacy of Life Committee, the Olene S. Walker Institute of Politics and Public Service, and the Zoo, Arts and Parks Preservation Committee. She has previously served on the Governor's Mansion Foundation and the trustee boards of Salt Lake Community College and The Children's Center.
“I am honored and very appreciative to have the opportunity to work with the Board of Regents and the tremendous system of higher education that we have in the state,” Anderson said in a prepared statement.
Valdez currently serves on the University of Utah board of trustees and works as a community liaison for Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker. She previously spent 17 years working at the Salt Lake Community College as an adviser for the Turning Point Program, which assists single parents in completing their education.
"As a native of Utah, I am honored by this appointment from Gov. Herbert,” Valdez said in a prepared statement. “Education is the key to success, and I am happy to help others reach their goals.”
In addition to the appointments of Anderson and Valdez, Herbert issued reappointments to regents Daniel Wayne Campbell, Robert Scott Marquardt and Teresa L. Theurer.
- Argument, break-up threats preceded double...
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy...
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Top 10 best road trip spots (and photo...
- 15 moments many Utahns will never forget
- Mill Creek restoration project to offer new...
- Ex-Attorney General Mark Shurtleff pleads not...
- Support for law requiring sales tax for...
- Utahns have mixed reactions to Supreme... 57
- Experts: Decision raises religious... 50
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 38
- Utah's same-sex marriage supporters... 28
- Father, son used LDS Church membership... 25
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 24
- 'No more red herrings' for Medicaid... 18
- Teenage girl bullied relentlessly gets... 14