UVU golf: five Wolverine women's golfers named WGCA All-American Scholars
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. — The Women's Golf Coaches Association announced its All-American Scholars for the 2012-13 season and five golfers from Utah Valley University were honored.
Senior Jordyn Dougal (exercise science) as well as sophomores Brooke Bliss (psychology), Hannah Herman (marketing), Heather Mathison (biology) and Lynn-Marie Nagel (international business) all made the cut. Bliss and Nagel were honored for the second straight season while Dougal, the 2013 Great West Conference Golfer of the Year, was named an Academic All-American for the third consecutive year.
"The reason our student-athletes come into our lives and our programs is so they can earn an education while pursuing their athletic dreams. The UVU women's golf team has been very successful at both endeavors lately," UVU head coach Sue Nyhus said. "More than half our team earned the high honor of WGCA All-Scholar Team. I'm very proud of these girls for achieving this academic award. They are all very deserving."
UVU tied for the Division I lead with five student-athletes earning the academic recognition. Five also marked a new program record for Nyhus' squad as it surpassed the old record of four that was set in 2011.
Considered one of the more stringent awards in collegiate athletics, the All-American Scholar Team requires a minimum of a 3.50 cumulative GPA. In all, 644 collegiate women's golfers made the cut this year.
The contingent of UVU golfers was also named to the Great West Conference All-Academic Team last month.
"As a group they know how to work hard and when to focus on golf and when to focus on their coursework," Nyhus said. "I am in awe of their accomplishments in life so far and am so grateful to have the chance to work with them as they make their way through this stage of their lives."
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23