UVU golf: five Wolverine women's golfers named WGCA All-American Scholars
CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. — The Women's Golf Coaches Association announced its All-American Scholars for the 2012-13 season and five golfers from Utah Valley University were honored.
Senior Jordyn Dougal (exercise science) as well as sophomores Brooke Bliss (psychology), Hannah Herman (marketing), Heather Mathison (biology) and Lynn-Marie Nagel (international business) all made the cut. Bliss and Nagel were honored for the second straight season while Dougal, the 2013 Great West Conference Golfer of the Year, was named an Academic All-American for the third consecutive year.
"The reason our student-athletes come into our lives and our programs is so they can earn an education while pursuing their athletic dreams. The UVU women's golf team has been very successful at both endeavors lately," UVU head coach Sue Nyhus said. "More than half our team earned the high honor of WGCA All-Scholar Team. I'm very proud of these girls for achieving this academic award. They are all very deserving."
UVU tied for the Division I lead with five student-athletes earning the academic recognition. Five also marked a new program record for Nyhus' squad as it surpassed the old record of four that was set in 2011.
Considered one of the more stringent awards in collegiate athletics, the All-American Scholar Team requires a minimum of a 3.50 cumulative GPA. In all, 644 collegiate women's golfers made the cut this year.
The contingent of UVU golfers was also named to the Great West Conference All-Academic Team last month.
"As a group they know how to work hard and when to focus on golf and when to focus on their coursework," Nyhus said. "I am in awe of their accomplishments in life so far and am so grateful to have the chance to work with them as they make their way through this stage of their lives."
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18