Juan Diego hires former Indiana state coach of the year as new basketball coach
DRAPER — Juan Diego on Wednesday confirmed the hiring of former Indiana state high school coach of the year Drew Trost as the new face of the boys basketball program.
“He told me that he was waiting for the Juan Diego job to come open and that was the only job he wanted,” Juan Diego athletic director Chris Long said. “It looks like a good fit for us.”
Trost, a native of Salt Lake City, was a two-time Indiana coach of the year and amassed a career record of 129-57 at Bishop Noll, a Catholic school in Hammond, Ind. In 2011, he guided the Warriors to the Indiana state championship.
“All of our candidates had sterling records, but he’s just a natural,” Long said, explaining that Trost specifically relocated for the Juan Diego position. “You can tell he’s a natural communicator and getting the kids to understand what he wants and getting them to buy into it. He’s one of those guys that the kids believe they have the magic wand — that goes a long way.”
Trost replaces former coach Brandon Sluga, who stepped down atop the program after three consecutive losing seasons and a 29-39 overall record.
Bishop Noll and Trost were the subject of an investigation by the Indiana State Athletic Association regarding the use of a transfer player from Chicago in 2012. The player was eventually ruled ineligible, leading to Trost’s resignation from an administration position.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20