Juan Diego hires former Indiana state coach of the year as new basketball coach
DRAPER — Juan Diego on Wednesday confirmed the hiring of former Indiana state high school coach of the year Drew Trost as the new face of the boys basketball program.
“He told me that he was waiting for the Juan Diego job to come open and that was the only job he wanted,” Juan Diego athletic director Chris Long said. “It looks like a good fit for us.”
Trost, a native of Salt Lake City, was a two-time Indiana coach of the year and amassed a career record of 129-57 at Bishop Noll, a Catholic school in Hammond, Ind. In 2011, he guided the Warriors to the Indiana state championship.
“All of our candidates had sterling records, but he’s just a natural,” Long said, explaining that Trost specifically relocated for the Juan Diego position. “You can tell he’s a natural communicator and getting the kids to understand what he wants and getting them to buy into it. He’s one of those guys that the kids believe they have the magic wand — that goes a long way.”
Trost replaces former coach Brandon Sluga, who stepped down atop the program after three consecutive losing seasons and a 29-39 overall record.
Bishop Noll and Trost were the subject of an investigation by the Indiana State Athletic Association regarding the use of a transfer player from Chicago in 2012. The player was eventually ruled ineligible, leading to Trost’s resignation from an administration position.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26