Juan Diego hires former Indiana state coach of the year as new basketball coach
DRAPER — Juan Diego on Wednesday confirmed the hiring of former Indiana state high school coach of the year Drew Trost as the new face of the boys basketball program.
“He told me that he was waiting for the Juan Diego job to come open and that was the only job he wanted,” Juan Diego athletic director Chris Long said. “It looks like a good fit for us.”
Trost, a native of Salt Lake City, was a two-time Indiana coach of the year and amassed a career record of 129-57 at Bishop Noll, a Catholic school in Hammond, Ind. In 2011, he guided the Warriors to the Indiana state championship.
“All of our candidates had sterling records, but he’s just a natural,” Long said, explaining that Trost specifically relocated for the Juan Diego position. “You can tell he’s a natural communicator and getting the kids to understand what he wants and getting them to buy into it. He’s one of those guys that the kids believe they have the magic wand — that goes a long way.”
Trost replaces former coach Brandon Sluga, who stepped down atop the program after three consecutive losing seasons and a 29-39 overall record.
Bishop Noll and Trost were the subject of an investigation by the Indiana State Athletic Association regarding the use of a transfer player from Chicago in 2012. The player was eventually ruled ineligible, leading to Trost’s resignation from an administration position.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 36