WEST JORDAN — A man accused of shooting and killing another man in a botched robbery has been ordered to stand trial on the charges against him.
Third District Judge Charlene Barlow found there was enough evidence against Gabriel Samson Gurule, 34, to support charges of murder, aggravated robbery, obstructing justice, all first-degree felonies; and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony. The judge also agreed to allow prosecutors to add a fifth charge of aggravated burglary.
Barlow made the decision following a two-day hearing on the evidence against Gurule, who is accused of shooting and killing Justen LeFave on Aug. 26.
Witnesses who testified Monday said Abegail Jennings, who was dating Gurule, knew LeFave from when they both lived in the Wasatch Club Apartments, 6999 S. State. Jennings reported that LeFave had marijuana and cash at his apartment, and she and Gurule made a plan to take the drugs.
The plan fell through on Aug. 24, but two other women and one man all testified they drove to the apartments on Aug. 26, where they met Gurule. The two women said they were supposed to get LeFave to open the door so Gurule could rob the man.
When they knocked, LeFave answered and they asked for a woman with a fictitious name. After LeFave explained she didn't live there, they went to leave when they heard a gunshot.
One woman said she saw Gurule with a gun when the trio approached the door. Two witnesses testified that Gurule said he shot LeFave, but that it was an accident.
Gurule is scheduled to appear in court again on July 29.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- FBI investigating shooting of Fort Duchesne man
- Sprinkler system, new station help contain...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 51
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 27
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Win-win solution' keeps Utah caucus... 20