WEST JORDAN — A man accused of shooting and killing another man in a botched robbery has been ordered to stand trial on the charges against him.
Third District Judge Charlene Barlow found there was enough evidence against Gabriel Samson Gurule, 34, to support charges of murder, aggravated robbery, obstructing justice, all first-degree felonies; and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony. The judge also agreed to allow prosecutors to add a fifth charge of aggravated burglary.
Barlow made the decision following a two-day hearing on the evidence against Gurule, who is accused of shooting and killing Justen LeFave on Aug. 26.
Witnesses who testified Monday said Abegail Jennings, who was dating Gurule, knew LeFave from when they both lived in the Wasatch Club Apartments, 6999 S. State. Jennings reported that LeFave had marijuana and cash at his apartment, and she and Gurule made a plan to take the drugs.
The plan fell through on Aug. 24, but two other women and one man all testified they drove to the apartments on Aug. 26, where they met Gurule. The two women said they were supposed to get LeFave to open the door so Gurule could rob the man.
When they knocked, LeFave answered and they asked for a woman with a fictitious name. After LeFave explained she didn't live there, they went to leave when they heard a gunshot.
One woman said she saw Gurule with a gun when the trio approached the door. Two witnesses testified that Gurule said he shot LeFave, but that it was an accident.
Gurule is scheduled to appear in court again on July 29.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 19
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16