WEST JORDAN — A man accused of shooting and killing another man in a botched robbery has been ordered to stand trial on the charges against him.
Third District Judge Charlene Barlow found there was enough evidence against Gabriel Samson Gurule, 34, to support charges of murder, aggravated robbery, obstructing justice, all first-degree felonies; and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony. The judge also agreed to allow prosecutors to add a fifth charge of aggravated burglary.
Barlow made the decision following a two-day hearing on the evidence against Gurule, who is accused of shooting and killing Justen LeFave on Aug. 26.
Witnesses who testified Monday said Abegail Jennings, who was dating Gurule, knew LeFave from when they both lived in the Wasatch Club Apartments, 6999 S. State. Jennings reported that LeFave had marijuana and cash at his apartment, and she and Gurule made a plan to take the drugs.
The plan fell through on Aug. 24, but two other women and one man all testified they drove to the apartments on Aug. 26, where they met Gurule. The two women said they were supposed to get LeFave to open the door so Gurule could rob the man.
When they knocked, LeFave answered and they asked for a woman with a fictitious name. After LeFave explained she didn't live there, they went to leave when they heard a gunshot.
One woman said she saw Gurule with a gun when the trio approached the door. Two witnesses testified that Gurule said he shot LeFave, but that it was an accident.
Gurule is scheduled to appear in court again on July 29.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12