Death of 22-year-old at Bear Lake is reminder of carbon monoxide risks
"Ride in the seats that were made for passengers to ride in," Hunter said. "Don't get up on the engine covers, don't ride back of the boat, definitely don't turn around and put your feet down on the swim deck, because you can be breathing the colorless, odorless gas and you won't really even know that you're even breathing it."
There is also the "station wagon effect" in which the air will move over the top of the boat and create low pressure areas where gas can exist regardless of whether the boat is moving. He said, depending on the concentration of gas that is breathed, poisoning can take place in seconds or after 15 to 20 minutes.
"You get out boating, you get out in the open and think it's no big deal and it really can be a big deal," he said.
It is still being determined whether Allyn died in Utah or Idaho. If counted here, it will be the ninth boating death this year, Hunter said. "We've had a lot of unfortunate circumstances that have happened this summer. Very tragic in every instance that comes along."
Howze, who flew in from Wichita, Kan., to attend memorial services for his friend, said he got the call about Allyn's death around midnight Saturday. He said he was told Allyn had passed out and never woke up.
"I didn't go to sleep for maybe the next three or four hours that night," Howze said. "Every 22-year-old has big aspirations. I'll miss the times where we would be out and could spend an hour or so talking about things we wanted to do, plans we had when I graduated. I'll always miss his ideas."
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 23
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 16
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14