Brad Rock: Chris Hill's mistake? Leaving it up to his associate
But the report did say Hill failed to investigate the alcohol problem. It said Winslow had appeared drunk on numerous occasions and concluded Oliszcak did little to deal with Winslow’s issues, or to pass along the information. The report also questioned Oliszczak’s reliability.
Though Oliszczak told investigators he advised Hill to fire Winslow in 2011, they didn’t believe him, saying, “We do not believe that Oliszczak’s statements are reliable.”
In April 2012, the associate A.D. was issued a “Notice of Written Warning” in which he was demoted for not filling or following up on assignments. It also accused him of making untrue statements, such as claiming he had registered the women’s basketball team for the WNIT, when he had not.
Oliszczak was told to resign or be fired in October 2012. He cited “family medical issues,” to the investigators, then admitted he had “management issues with Chris Hill.”
So the Utah swim team scandal came down to this: Hill knew Winslow was a problem, but left it to Oliszczak to handle. It was the wrong choice.
“Once I found out details (of the altercation) I should have either fired (Winslow) or suspended him and demanded alcohol treatment,” Hill said on Tuesday.
Asked if he should have resigned, Hill said, “No. I thought about i t but if I thought I was in the way of having things be successful, I wouldn’t do (the job).”
Hill’s was a sin of omission, once removed. He assumed the problem was being fixed. Now he’s been through a draining, embarrassing investigation. He’s had to replace a swim coach and an associate A.D.
Come to think of it, I never should have let the maintenance schedule lapse on a car of mine. I changed the oil, but that was about it. Otherwise, I wasn’t paying attention and ended up buying a new car.
In that sense, I think we both let some things go. And we’ve both paid enough.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: therockmonster
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37