Brad Rock: Chris Hill's mistake? Leaving it up to his associate
But the report did say Hill failed to investigate the alcohol problem. It said Winslow had appeared drunk on numerous occasions and concluded Oliszcak did little to deal with Winslow’s issues, or to pass along the information. The report also questioned Oliszczak’s reliability.
Though Oliszczak told investigators he advised Hill to fire Winslow in 2011, they didn’t believe him, saying, “We do not believe that Oliszczak’s statements are reliable.”
In April 2012, the associate A.D. was issued a “Notice of Written Warning” in which he was demoted for not filling or following up on assignments. It also accused him of making untrue statements, such as claiming he had registered the women’s basketball team for the WNIT, when he had not.
Oliszczak was told to resign or be fired in October 2012. He cited “family medical issues,” to the investigators, then admitted he had “management issues with Chris Hill.”
So the Utah swim team scandal came down to this: Hill knew Winslow was a problem, but left it to Oliszczak to handle. It was the wrong choice.
“Once I found out details (of the altercation) I should have either fired (Winslow) or suspended him and demanded alcohol treatment,” Hill said on Tuesday.
Asked if he should have resigned, Hill said, “No. I thought about i t but if I thought I was in the way of having things be successful, I wouldn’t do (the job).”
Hill’s was a sin of omission, once removed. He assumed the problem was being fixed. Now he’s been through a draining, embarrassing investigation. He’s had to replace a swim coach and an associate A.D.
Come to think of it, I never should have let the maintenance schedule lapse on a car of mine. I changed the oil, but that was about it. Otherwise, I wasn’t paying attention and ended up buying a new car.
In that sense, I think we both let some things go. And we’ve both paid enough.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: therockmonster
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 17
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14